RS Fire Dept. responds to dryer fire on Sunday

Quick action by the Russell Springs Fire Department on Sunday evening contained a fire to the laundry room and dryer of a home on Reeder Rd.

Nine firefighters responded to the home just before 6:20 p.m. and worked to extinguish the fire. According to Fire Chief Bobby Johnson, the cause of the fire was determined to be a clogged dryer vent.

Chief Johnson reminds everyone to clean dryer vents regularly to prevent fires from occurring. He also advises against leaving dryers unattended, as this can increase the risk of fire.

The Russell Springs Fire Department also reminds all residents to take precautions to prevent fires in their homes. Johnson said it is important to have working smoke detectors and fire extinguishers, and to create a fire escape plan with your family.

For more information or to schedule a fire safety inspection, please contact the Russell Springs Volunteer Fire Department at 270-866-3158.