The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is inviting the public to participate in the Lake Cumberland Fall Lake Cleanup next Saturday, Sept. 24, for National Public Lands Day.
Volunteers can participate in one of the biggest clean-up efforts ever to take place in the greater Lake Cumberland region. Cities, counties, schools, clubs, local businesses, and U.S. Army Corps of Engineers’ staff have an opportunity to lend a hand to improve the environment and ensure the quality of treasured Lake Cumberland lands and waters.
The volunteer effort begins 8 a.m. local time. Cleanup staff will be stationed in the following areas for visitors to register as volunteers. Please call ahead and preregister at 606-677-6150 or toll free at 888-577-4339, or e-mail [email protected].
- Waitsboro Recreation Area (500 Waitsboro Road, Somerset, KY, 42503)
- Conley Bottom Resort (270 Conley Bottom Road, Monticello, KY, 42633)
- Halcomb’s Landing Recreation Area (Directions: US 127 South from Jamestown; left just before Wolf Creek Dam)
- Grider Hill Marina (115 Grider Hill Dock Rd, Albany, KY 42602)
- Burnside Island State Park (8801 US-27, Burnside, KY 42519)
- Lake Cumberland State Resort Park (5465 State Park Rd, Jamestown, KY 42629)
The Corps of Engineers and Eastern Kentucky PRIDE are supplying gloves and garbage bags and the public is strongly encouraged to bring water bottles, and clothing appropriate for the weather. In accordance with COVID-19 policies and procedures, masks and social distancing are encouraged.
“I have participated in a National Public Lands Day event every year since 2002 and the volunteers of Lake Cumberland are some of the most dedicated individuals that I have had the pleasure of working with,” said Jonathan Friedman, resource manager of Lake Cumberland and Laurel River Lake.
For additional information, please contact the Lake Cumberland Natural Resource Management Office at 606-679-6337. Follow Lake Cumberland at www.facebook.com/LakeCumberland and Eastern Kentucky PRIDE at https://www.facebook.com/easternkentuckypride for updates on the Operation Beautification event.