New cruiser for Jamestown Police, water project discussed at city council meeting

Water project begins Aug. 31, cruiser will be needed for winter months

The City of Jamestown is moving forward with a grant process to purchase a new cruiser for the Jamestown Police Department.

The new cruiser will be a Ford F150 truck, which was recommended by Jamestown Police Chief Jeff Kerns. Shearer said the vehicle will be particularly useful in the winter months in the case of inclement weather.

The grant will pay for 75 percent of the cost of the new cruiser with the city contributing the remaining 25 percent.

In other city news, the downtown water project is expected to begin on Aug. 31. The project, Shearer said, will consist of the removal of the old cast-iron water lines around the downtown area and replacing them with updated lines.

It’s a project that has been needed for a while, Shearer said, and he praised the council for making it happen.

“Folks, this is a big deal, this is a very big deal,”Shearer said. “Not only for the City of Jamestown but for the people we serve and the water we serve to others. You should be proud of this. This is a humongous accomplishment. It probably should’ve been done 30 years ago but you all saw it fit to do this now so kudos to all six of you.”

More information will be released next week about how the project will alter traffic patterns in downtown Jamestown.

About Zac Oakes 3353 Articles
Zac Oakes is the News and Sports Director for LakerCountry.com and Laker Country WJRS 104.9 FM.