Public Pistol Range now open in Meade County

FRANKFORT, Ky. (Dec. 2, 2020) – The Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources has opened a dedicated pistol range at Otter Creek Outdoor Recreation Area in Meade County.

The new pistol range, the second operated by Kentucky Fish and Wildlife, opened Dec. 2 and is near an existing rifle range at the area.

“Hunters and recreational shooters made this possible through the federal excise taxes they paid on their purchases of sporting arms and ammunition under the Pittman-Robertson Act,” said Ben Robinson, assistant director of the department’s Wildlife Division. “These Pittman-Robertson funds paid for 75 percent of this project, with Kentucky Fish and Wildlife providing the remaining 25 percent using funds from sales of licenses.”

The new range is an open area surrounded by earthen berms for safety.

Otter Creek manager Ryan Taylor said the range includes six lanes with a maximum shooting distance of 20 yards. The range will be open from dawn to dusk, Wednesday through Sunday. It will be closed Dec. 24-25 for Christmas and Dec. 31-Jan. 1 for New Year’s Day.

Otter Creek charges an admission fee of $3 a day or $30 per year for each person over the age of 12. An additional special activity fee of $7 a day, or $70 a year, is charged to all range users.

Rifle and pistol ranges at Otter Creek are self-service, and available on a first-come, first-served basis. Persons using either range must have eye and ear protection.

Shooters at the rifle range may use rifles, muzzle-loading guns and shotguns loaded with single projectile slugs. The range does not allow shotguns with pelleted loads.

Participants at the pistol range also may only use single projectile ammunition.

For more information about Otter Creek Outdoor Recreation Area or the purchase a permit, visit Kentucky Fish and Wildlife’s website at fw.ky.gov or call (502) 942-9171.

About Zac Oakes 2822 Articles
Zac Oakes is the News and Sports Director for LakerCountry.com and Laker Country WJRS 104.9 FM.